Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Awards 2010

This will hopefully become a yearly post, where I summarize my photos which have either won contests or been published/recognized somewhere.

Arts in April

This is a yearly art show that takes place at the site I work at.  It is only open to entries from employees or relatives of employees, and is judged by the employees during the day of the show.  This is my third year entering, and my most rewarding one so far.




Both of the winners were printed 20"x30", mounted on foam board, and displayed on an easel (no frame).  Bigger is definitely better at this competition, and not framing reduced the glare that would normally occur because of the glass.  I think this really helped my images get noticed.

1st Place: Black & White Category

3rd Place: Scenic & Landscape Category


This image was the best I could find for the Human Interest category, and it did not place.  I don't really mind, because Charlie got first place with an image I had to convince her to enter.  She definitely deserved it.


Entry: Human Interest



Scott Kelby's Third Annual Photowalk

This event was awesome!  I highly recommend this to all the photographers I know, and will definitely be partaking next year.  I hope to sign up early enough to be on the walk lead by Scott Kelby in Tampa (yea right).  

There were a bunch of photowalks offered in and around Orlando.  I initially wanted to go on the one in downtown Sanford, which I hear is beautiful, but it was full when I finally signed up.  I joined the one in downtown Kissimmee, which turned out to be great.  All my pictures from the event are here.


There is also a contest for each of the walkers to enter their favorite photo from the walk.  The walk organizer (Mark Pino) judged and picked mine as his favorite from the bunch!  I got a free Lightroom 3 book and was put in the running for the best overall winner judged by Scott Kelby.  I didn't get mentioned, but was honored to even be considered.

1st Place - Kissimmee Photowalk


Butterfly Rainforest Photo Contest

The Butterfly Rainforest at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville has an annual Butterfly Festival in the fall, and a part of the festival is a photo contest.  I reluctantly entered (it cost $10 to enter, with a max prize of $100).

This photo got honorable mention.  Miguel and I both agree that it probably should have been atleast #2 out of the four that placed.  There was no monetary reward for honorable mention, but this image got published in the Gainesville Sun and was on display for a month in the museum and on the website (which I can't find anymore).  Thanks again Miguel with all your help getting this together, and I'm so sorry I had to beat you.

Honorable Mention


HDR Spotting

In August I joined HDR Spotting.  You can only join if you get invited to join, which is done to ensure only serious photographers will join and post.  I got an invite code from the facebook fan page after posting some of my work and asking for one.  I now have 3 codes if anyone is interested.  

You can post 1 image every 24-hour period.  Most images will get posted in the "Latest" section, the good ones will be posted in the "Featured" section (which is the homepage), and the amazing ones will become "Editor's Picks".  Out of the 20 pictures I have posted, 7 have been featured!  



Tennis Tournament

In early November I shot the 2010 Father-Daughter Clay Court Championship with Charlie and John Pfeifler in Jupiter, FL.  Apart from having a blast and selling photos, we got published and credited in the TCPalm.  Sadly, I did not take this picture, but the three of us agreed to share credit for every picture taken during this event.  


I also think this same picture got published in the Stuart News newspaper.  Charlie's mom supposedly grabbed a bunch of copies for us, which I have yet to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment