Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2011 Photography Resolutions

Earlier this week Miguel sent out a link by photographer Lisa Bettany of a list of Photography Resolutions.  Although I didn't really like many of her resolutions, I liked the idea.  Here is my list of photography resolutions for 2011:




  1. Post on this Blog After Every Shoot: I've started this blog from a suggestion by Miguel, and I like the idea.  Its not really for anyone else but myself (and I'm sure Miguel will read it too).  Its a good way to document the lessons that I learn from every shoot that I will undoubtedly forget and then make the same mistakes again.
  2. Start a Photography Savings Account: I want to save up for a new camera (D7000) and although I could afford it now I shouldn't buy it.  So I'm going to set up a separate savings account on ING for photography.  All my earnings from selling photos or equipment would go into this account.  This way all money earned from photography would go back into the hobby.  I would also put a constant value (~$10) a week into it.
  3. Watch atleast 1 Kelby Training Course a Month: I split a annual membership with Miguel and Adam to Kelby training in July, and I have watched maybe 5 courses so far.  I need to get my money's worth out of this.  I would like to watch more than 1 a month, but school and work get top priority.
  4. Enter Photography Contests: I did a few of these this year (Arts in April, Scott Kelby Photowalk, Butterfly Rainforest) and they are lots of fun.  And I happen to win often :)  Also, I will be making a post detailing the results of all the photography contests I've entered in 2010.
  5. Plan and Go On a Photography Trip: Miguel and I did this last Christmas break, and we both took lots of great pictures to add to our portfolio.  The sole purpose of this trip would be photography.  Possibly the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Appalachian Mountains during the fall while the leaves change.
  6. Shoot for Black & White: I have some nice B&W pictures (here and here), but they are all afterthoughts.  I would like to train myself to think about shooting B&W while I'm out there.  There may be a way to do this in camera, I need to look that up.  Possibly shoot RAW + JPEG, and set the JPEG processing to desaturate.  The RAW "should" be untouched.
  7. Practice Model Photography: I had the amazing opportunity having Amy's friend Ethiopia in town the past few months.  She wanted to be a model and I want to be a photographer.  Sadly she moved to DC and I only had 2 photo sessions with her.  I learned a lot from those sessions, but have a lot more to learn.  I'm not really sure how to accomplish this, maybe I'll tag along with Charlie sometime.
  8. Review and Delete Old Pictures: I (finally) finished importing all my photos into Lightroom.  Now I need to go back and delete some of my older pictures that were horrible.  I kept way too many pictures when I started, and a lot need to go away.  
  9. Start Selling Photos: Through a wonderful opportunity provided by Charlie, I made $140 selling pictures taken during a tennis tournament.  I want to keep this up, shooting more tennis tourneys with Charlie and maybe frisbee tournaments with Miguel (and/or Charlie).  If I finally pull the trigger on getting a Smugmug Pro account, then I will hopefully be able to sell photos through that.  
  10. When in Doubt, Bring the Camera!: Many times I've found myself in situations where I see a great photo and don't have the camera.  Most of these are when I'm with Amy and don't want to focus more on photography than our time together.  Bringing the camera and not taking a picture is better than leaving the camera at home and missing "the shot".
  11. Catch up on Post-Processing and Posting: Ok, I wanted a list of only 10 things, but this is a must.  I have pictures I took on a family trip to Boston in August 2008 I have yet to process or post.  I really need to get on the ball with this.

This is probably a bold list of resolutions for one year, but I hope putting it in writing will make me more accountable.  I also hope this will give others some good ideas of resolutions they should make in the coming year.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to comment on your resolutions because I realized that they are awesome and I want to steal/borrow some of them. Hopefully, we can stick to them by harassing each other about them every other day.

    #1 - I absolutely agree. I have already learned a ton from doing just 4 shoots and blogging about them. Like you said, I will absolutely be following you (I already added you to my RSS feed).
    #2 - Stealing this idea from you. Upping $10/week to $20/week. This way, we can't say that we don't have any money.
    #3 - Great idea. If you have any questions about which ones to watch, let me know ... I think I've watched at least 80% of the photography/lightroom/cs5 ones.
    #5 - YES YES YES YES YES YES ... Let's go to Yosemite!
    #8 - It's going to take you forever to do this, so I suggest going slowly. I found that sometimes i wanted to keep some pictures because of the memory so I decided to make a folder within that shoot that contained all of the OK pics at 1600 px resolution. The really good ones (aka keepers) were in the original folder.
    #9 - I'm in for this one. We should get a list of things that we can shoot.
    #11 - This is going to be a daunting task. Make a priority list - what's more important, your recent shoots or your past shoots?

    ReplyDelete